HOW LONG WILL THE BATTERY LAST? CAN I WASH IT? WHAT KIND OF MAINTENANCE DOES AN E-BIKE REQUIRE? WITH THE GROWING POPULARITY OF ELECTRIC BIKES, YOU MIGHT BE GETTING A LITTLE CURIOUS. HERE IS A LIST OF QUESTIONS WE OFTEN GET ASKED REGARDING E-BIKES…
- What is the lifespan of an e-bike battery?
Naturally, this depends on the frequency you use your e-bike and how you take care of it. It also depends on the battery brand your bike is fitted with. Rule of thumb is 1000 full cycled charges, that is about 45 000km at boost setting (maximum assist)
- Do e-bikes recharge when going downhill?
There are a couple of electric bike motors on the market that recharges when you are using the brake but this only really extends your range by 5%. Currently, none of our bikes features a recharging motor.
- How fast can an e-bike go?
According to the European Union, the maximum speed an e-bike is allowed to go is 25km/h in the US 20mph is the speed limit. Technically the motor can go faster but most e-bike ESC’s stop providing power at 25km/h.
Electrical bike laws differ from country to country, click HERE to see what the speed limit is in your country.
- What is the range of a battery?
This depends on a couple of factors, how you ride, the terrain you are riding as well as the level of assist you ride in. On average you should be able to do between 40km to 95km on a single charge.
- Can I ride my e-bike without the battery?
Yes, it will be a normal bicycle once the battery is removed or switched off.
MAINTAINING YOUR E-BIKE
- What maintenance does an e-bike require?
This differs depending on the brand of the drive system your bike uses.
– The Shimano system is sealed and has no serviceable parts.
-The Bafang service light comes on every 5000km, this is generally when the system should be serviced. This service is very basic and includes things such as new grease and cleaning out the system.
- How to wash your e-bike and the use of water with electrical components.
Washing an e-bike requires a little bit more care than other bikes.
– No high-pressure water or direct stream of water should be used on your e-bike, as both will force water into any crevasses. Using a bucket of water with a cloth is more than enough to clean.
– Also, avoid using silicone spray / anti-corrosion spray, it may seep into some components and eventually interfere with the electronics.
*Neither the Bafang or Shimano is waterproof so don’t go swimming with your e-bike.
- Should I completely drain my battery before recharging it?
No, you don’t need to. Lithium-Ion does not suffer from the ‘memory effect’ so charging your battery before it is flat will not affect its longevity. It is best to charge the battery after every ride regardless of whether it is depleted or not. However lithium-ion batteries will last longer if not fully cycled regularly.
- Where should you take the battery if you have any issuers?
If you pick up any issues with your motor, display or battery, you should take it back to your dealer, the same as with any other issues. Your dealer will asses the problem and submit a warranty claim if necessary.
If we haven’t answered your question, let us know in the comment section below. Be sure to check out our full range of e-bikes HERE.